Sunday, March 3, 2013

ONE NEW THING WEEK 10!

Well...I finally felt brave enough to tackle my Y-seams!  I have to say...I was pleasantly surprised!  I really had no trouble. Yes, they are a little finicky and you really have to pay attention - it's easy to line up the hexies incorrectly.  And believe me, you don't want to have to pick these apart.  About halfway through I realized my machine was having some tension issues. I had to pick out an entire row and as I had used smaller stitches I nearly went blind. (Note to self:  Check tension on underside when sewing hexagons.) Anyway, aside from being a little tedious, it's not an unpleasant process. 
 

I think maybe next time I'll cut them bigger - each row took half an hour to sew together! Or perhaps a doll quilt!!! I used the tutorial found here. The only thing I did different was not press my seams open when joining the hexies in a row.  The seams just get in the way when they are pressed open.  Anyway, that's what worked for me! Overall, I say WHY NOT! to Y-seams!
 
Also, I've been having fun making these...

 
I just love these little mini granny squares!  I use the method found here. Mine finish at 6 1/4 inches.  I think they are so sweet and I can't wait to finish these and get this quilt put together. I think it's going to be one of my favourites! Now that my brand-new sewing room is almost complete, I'm hoping that my productivity will increase!  I'm not quite ready to show you some pictures, but it's coming together almost exactly how I planned.  It's so nice having a dedicated room for my sewing.  No more searching for fabric, buying duplicate fabric (not such a bad thing), etc.!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. looking forward to pictures of your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will have some up soon! It's a small space and I'm still finding a home for everything!

      Delete